A mother’s lap is the most comfy and cozy place for a child that remains the same forever!
And if a child is under the weather, none other than a mother’s warmth is what a baby looks for. When a baby is unwell, a mother cradles the child in her arms and tries to do every possible effort to make sure the baby feels well.
When a baby is feverish, besides the care and love, it is essentially important for a mother to be familiar with the degree of temperature. The decision to treat the baby at home or taking to the doctor is dependent on this preliminary knowledge.
In such a scenario, a mother can’t afford to rely on any inaccurate tools. Rather, an accurate measurement of a child’s fever is extremely important. Thanks to the technological advancements that have made this job easy.
Why is a Baby thermometer needed?
A baby thermometer is the basic tool that is both accurate and handy to be used by any Mommy. It immediately lets the mother know when to rush towards the hospital in emergency.
A baby will keep on crying or even look lethargic due to fever. But he or she may not be able to express it in words. It is just a mother who can sense it and must confirm it using a reliable and scientific measure.
A forehead thermometer for baby is one such help!
Table of Contents
What are the different types of Baby Thermometer?
Exploring the best baby thermometer, you will find a plethora. Depending on the age and condition of the child, there are different types of babies thermometers available in the market.
1. Baby Rectal Thermometers
When it comes to accuracy, there’s no match to the rectal thermometers for babies. Though a little uncomfortable for the infants, but they give accurate reading of the infant’s body temperature. They are required to be inserted into the rectal opening for recording the temperature. If it cringes, a water soluble jelly can be applied over the probe of thermometer to make the insertion smooth and easy.
2. Axillary or Armpit Thermometers
These are the least invasive but unfortunately the least accurate too. They are used as a last resort if none of the other ways to figure out temperature works.
3. Ear Canal Thermometer
Ear Canal or Tympanic thermometers are these days recommended more by a pediatrician. As the name indicates, this thermometer is placed into the baby’s ear canal where the thermometer with its sensor measure the temperature. But if the baby ear has too much wax in it, the probability of accurate measurement declines.
4. Oral Thermometers
These thermometers are used commonly for adults, but for infants they are not the right choice. They are recommended for children over 4 years of age. These thermometers are easy to use and give accurate results.
5. Forehead Thermometers
The Temporal Artery or Forehead baby thermometers are the latest in the family. Though they are quite expensive, but the level of accuracy and comfort they offer out rightly justifies the cost.
The forehead baby thermometers measure the temperature of the temporal artery using infrared rays. You are not supposed to insert anything inside the baby. Hence, they are the safest and most accurate in terms of performance.
Which Thermometers must be avoided by Moms?
Don’t rely on every type of thermometer for your babies available in your local drug store. There are certain fever detecting tools that are highly inaccurate and unsafe to be used for babies.
1. Pacifier Thermometer
This one is kept in baby’s mouth to be sucked on to give the body temperature. They are inaccurate and for the worst they can even cause choking hazard to the infants.
2. Wearable Thermometers
Thermometers that can be worn in the form of a bracelet are available in market but are not recommended for use. They are also inaccurate.
3. Temperature Strips
These strips are placed on the forehead to check the temperature. But pediatricians label them as unreliable.
Why should Moms use Forehead Thermometers?
You must be curious to know whether this new category of thermometers is worth using or not. You might want to continue with the old traditional mercury thermometer for your babies too. And before making up your mind for these infrared thermometers, you must have a number of queries in mind.
Let’s answer your all concerns!
Are Infrared Thermometers Safe for Babies?
Yes, ofcourse they are!
Forehead thermometers function using the infrared light. Though they are easier to use and gives accurate results without even touching the baby, yet there are some myths associated to the safety concerns of this thermometer.
These thermometers are completely safe as long as they are not given to kids to play with. Remember, thermometer is not a toy!
Forehead thermometers use infrared light but don’t produce rays that can be damaging to the babies. Just like a digital camera, they don’t emit any rays at all.
They are operated through batteries which can be powered off when not in use. So they are safe for the kids, adults and even for the environment too.
Are they Easy to Use?
The traditional oral thermometers are required to be held under tongue for a minute or more. With adults that can work but not in case of toddlers.
Forehead thermometers are not required to be held under tongue. They are non-invasive that don’t even touch the babies and gives accurate readings in just a second.
Can they be used for Adults?
Forehead thermometers are not just designed for toddlers. They are suitable to be used for older kids and even for adults too.
Best Forehead Thermometer for Babies
Being the most accurate baby thermometer, the forehead thermometer for babies is greatly considered by majority parents. And that is why I am sharing with you the list of best forehead thermometer for baby in 2018.
1. Goodbaby Forehead and Ear Thermometer
Whether detection is required through ear or forehead, the reading is accurate for sure. This is a dual mode thermometer that makes temperature measurement easier than one’s imagination.
This accuracy comes because of the refined microchip and highly sensitive sensor.
- It takes less than 5 sec to measure the reading.
- It is versatile in nature. Just with a click, the mode of measurement from forehead to ear can be changed.
- It is easy to read as the reading is appeared on the LCD screen.
- It is too light in weight, aesthetically designed and reliable in performance.
- It is competitively affordable.
- A very few of its users claim it to be inconsistent and requires to scan the forehead more than once for accurate measurement.
2. Vicsainteck Digital Thermometer
The forehead mode is suitable for children of all ages. Ear mode is recommended for infants over 3 months of age. This thermometer offers the ease to measure fever of a child through multiple modes.
Not only this, an additional object mode helps to measure the temperature of room, bath and food for the child.
- It is easy to switch between the modes.
- It is quick and accurate in temperature measurement.
- It offers convenient switching between F and C temperatures.
- It has a backlit digital LCD screen that can be easily read even in dark. Hence, the child is not bothered to check the temperature every now and then.
- This thermometer has a double beep system to alarm the patient if temperature is above 99.6 F.
- It comes along with batteries and a user manual.
- The instruction manual is not descriptive.
- Batteries expire quickly.
3. Lzour Forehead and Ear Thermometer
- This thermometer has a dual mode of operation i.e. forehead and ear.
- It gives accurate reading in just 1 sec.
- It comes with a money back guarantee.
- It can store and recall up to 32 readings. Hence, parents can keep a track of child’s temperature to share accurate information with doctor.
- It comes with a portable case and a user manual.
- It does not come with batteries.
4. Lentia Baby Digital Thermometer
Zerhunt digital thermometer is highly accurate and equipped with the most effective and advanced infrared sensor technology.
- It offers premium quality probe that can b used both for forehead and ear.
- It beeps with a red back light in case if the temperature is over 100 F.
- It is a 3 in one thermometer with a forehead, ear and object detection mode.
- The package includes the digital thermometer along with a travel bag and an instruction manual.
- This thermometer does not come with batteries.
- The batteries are often reported to be troublesome and the device flashes upon the message to replace them time and again.
5. Anntool Forehead Thermometer With Lcd Display
Its revolutionized calibration technology makes it the most distinguished device to measure the infant body temperature. One of the best forehead thermometer for baby, this one has been proven to be unmatched in performance.
Infact, this one is a perfect thermometer package from newborns to the entire family.
- It is the most consistent and reliable thermometer to give accurate temperature reading.
- It is clinically tested and recommended by pediatricians.
- It can store up to 20 readings to keep a track of child’s temperature.
- It is recommended for children of all ages easily without even letting them notice.
- It is equally effective for adults too.
- It offers a refund policy within 100 days of purchase.
- The device pack does not contain batteries. You need to afford additional cost for it.
6. XWDQ Digital Forehead Thermometer
So, it definitely gives us a strong reason to always go for a reliable forehead thermometer. None can deny the accuracy of forehead thermometer for infants and babies.
This is another infrared forehead and ear thermometer for babies and adults with fever indicator.
This best forehead thermometer for babies has been vigorously tested for accuracy and has always been found reliable.
- It is fast and accurate.
- It has multi-mode operation. Forehead, ear and object surface temperature measurement all are possible through one device only.
- It comes with a 30 day money back guarantee along with a 1 year manufacturer’s guarantee.
- It also has a fever alert that gives 3 beeps if temperature is above 99.6 F.
- The ear mode can’t be used for children under the age of 3 months.
7.TQMB Medical Forehead Thermometer
RQMB offers an easy to use and accurate digital infrared thermometer to detect fever among infants and toddlers.
- It gives accurate reading.
- Unlike the mercury thermometer, this thermometer is safer to be used for kids as there are no such danger of breakage and mercury poisoning.
- It has an LCD display for temperature and a soft beep to alert which doesn’t wake the babies up.
- Celsius and Fahrenheit switching is very easy too.
- It is not required to be brought into contact with the body. It gives temperature if kept 3 to 4 com from the forehead.
- It works with batteries which the customer has to buy separately. The package doesn’t include them.
8. DUOUH Forehead and Ear Thermometer
DUOUH offers the best forehead thermometer for baby that can be switched from forehead to ear for body temperature and an object mode to detect temperature of stuff like milk bottle, etc.
- It gives instant temperature measurement.
- It has 3 color backlight as well as an alarm function if there’s fever.
- It is ideal for kids and adults both.
- The company offers 30 day money back guarantee, 1 year manufacturer guarantee and a 24/7 customer service.
- The manual is not much descriptive which causes trouble for users to understand the operation.
9. Vmond baby Infrared Thermometer
ProsOne of the best forehead thermometer for baby this fever detecting device from Vmond is both FDA and CE approved. It uses infrared technology to measure the body temperature through forehead and ear both.
- It has a convenient mode switching process.
- It alerts the user, in case of fever, with 10 short rings with the red LCD flicker.
- It is designed to be used for kids and adults of all ages.
- The package does not include batteries.
10. NOBLJX Digital Thermometer
- Easy to use and switch between modes.
- It gives quick results.
- It has an intelligent fever warning system.
- It comes in a pouch for easy storage.
- The thermometer may give inaccurate results at times.
With a never ending list of choices for measuring the fever of your tot, infrared forehead thermometers are found to be the best.
They are affordable, light in weight, aesthetically beautiful, accurate and above all safe for the babies. What else one could look for in a thermometer for babies!
So what you are waiting for if you are looking one for your baby then this best forehead thermometer for baby list will be definitely help you out to make the right decision.